Wednesday, September 6, 2017

The Little Things / Morning storytime

I've been trying to spend more "me" time this year (yes, it was a new years resolution) - reading, doing puzzles, crafting - things that I enjoy and help me unwind and rejuvenate. So I've been finally finishing up a couple books that have been "open" for some time... like even a few years!

I've picked back up Bloom by Kelle Hampton which tells of her journey with a daughter who has Down syndrome.  As I'm reading, she mentions how she wants to remember the "little things" (which she coined as her blog title "Enjoying the small things") and that just resonated with me.  I take a lot of pictures and capture a lot of moments that way but I want to remember the sweet simple moments that bring me joy throughout our days. Kelle said, "I wrote about the moments I wanted to remember - the happy, beautiful things I knew I would otherwise forget." So I'm going to start doing just that!

You might think I'm crazy when I tell you this but I've actually kept a log since Beau was born of all his milestones, new things he does, silly habits, new skills, funny moments.  I just didn't want to forget anything because with the DS stigma of "oh he'll never do that." I wanted to make sure I remembered them ALL.  For the first three years of his life, I kept a calendar and would often write down the little things that we did and things he was accomplishing. Now, I keep a running note in my phone and add to it whenever I notice something new. However I think there's just something that words can tell that a picture just can't and I want to document that too.

I had picked back up Bloom on Monday and was reading before bed. Then the next morning, which happened to be the first day of school, we had our morning time together. Daddy is already off to work and the school bus hasn't come yet. I don't actually know when this began, sometime this summer or even at the end of last school year we began reading books for about a 1/2 hour each morning before breakfast, before the other kids got dropped off (I do childcare).  We snuggle up on the couch for story time.   I would ask him if he wanted to read which he enthusiastically nods "yes," every time!  I go sit on the couch and he picks the first book out of the bucket and brings it to me.  Then he points to the blanket ladder and says "eh, eh" to tell me he wants one.  So I pull one of them down and pull it up over my lap as I hold the other half up so he can crawl up under. He uses all 4s and his head to get up on the couch and does a couple "bops" up and down to get comfortable with his feeding pump backpack squished behind him.  Then I tuck the blanket around him and under his legs and he gives me the biggest smile to tell me he's "ready to read." And then one book at a time we read and sign our way through. After each book he returns it to the bucket and grabs another and another and another.  Its such a simple moment but it makes my heart melt.  He loves to read, just like his mama.

This is a photo Dada snapped of us reading before bed, tucked under our blanket together. <3



No comments:

Post a Comment